Sunday, March 6, 2011

What Does Gender have to do with Creating?




Do men and women create in the same way?


I find this question strange. To begin with, there is a strange assumption the question makes: men create in one way and women create in a different way. But I don't see patterns in the way men create. I don't see patterns in the way women create.


And what does "create" mean anyway? I suppose since this class is on literature, that is where I should start. Do men and women create stories in the same way? They both write novels, plays, essays, and poems, right? I can continue the vague stereotypes: Generally men write about men and women write about women. Although, of course this is not always the case, and there are as many excepetions as there are rules.



I did hear an interview on the radio the other day that addressed this subject in a very personal way.

Allison Pearson was interviewed On Fresh Air by Terry Gross. They talked about Pearson's new novel I Think I Love You. The book talk was fairly interesting, but it was Gross' interest in Pearson's relationship with her partner that really got me intrigued. Pearson lives with another respected writer Anthony Lane, who is a film critic for the New Yorker. Gross wanted to know if they helped each other write, and did they have different processes. Pearson's response was in a way an answer to the original question: Do men and women create differently? Here answer was a resounding, yes.

Pearson shared that she was much less confidant in her process than her partner, Lane, was. She asked for advice more often, and second guessed herself. While Lane was often sure of himself. In the interview she proclaimed this confidence was a result of him being a man. Her lack of confidence was because she was a woman.
HUH.
Maybe?
Are woman taught to ask for more help?
Are men expected to know the right answers all the time?
Do these expectations inform creativity?

I don't have any firm answers to these questions. I think I will be asking them for the rest of my life, but it was interesting to listen to a writer be so confidant in her process that seemingly lacked confidence.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a Bright Girl to me. Have you seen this article? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/heidi-grant-halvorson-phd/girls-confidence_b_828418.html?ref=fb&src=sp

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never read this article, but I love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each person who creates does it in a unique way, and ascribing gender distinctions isn't helpful, I don't think. There are strong women who write w/o doubting their process, and insecure men who need constant approbation.
    If we go to gender stereotypes, it is easy to say yes, women are taught to ask for more help; (make your man feel strong and confident by asking him for help!) and these stereotypes were true for a long time. But we have been trying to break out of these for a least a generation now, slowly to be sure, but constantly moving away from them, and hopefully to a more equitable future where creative quality is not decided by gender bias but by content.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh is right... To me, asking for help does not make me less confident. I'm a very confident woman and I risk take. However, I also want to do it right the first time, for I know I am not the first person to have attempted such tasks. I trust others' opinions, I'm social, I'm an empathizer, sympathizer, and compromiser... these are the reasons I seek help and opinions. The other reason I seek help... because I understand and can embrace my limitations. Don't pin it on a weakness of women. Please. Quite frankly, I think it sign of weakness not to ask for help.

    ReplyDelete