Friday, March 18, 2011

Coming Out as a FEMINIST


March is Women's History month and March 8th was Women's Day, or Feminist Coming Out Day. You can read about that here.

Feminists are men, women, girls, boys, young, and old. Feminists can have fiancées, and yes! a sense of humor. Feminists defy expectations and stereotype.

I stand up as a feminist because I believe that there are still gender inequalities in our world. You don't think so? Check out this study. But it goes deeper than this study. Women are targets for violence and rape. Women are underrepresented in Congress. Take a look at the literary canon...where are all the women?

1 comment:

  1. words from my #1 fan (sorry angela!)ms. beca:

    "I feel extremely fortunate that I grew up in a family where hard work, strong opinions, travel, college, professional jobs, etc. were not only encouraged, but expected. I look back, and think it's amazing that I (who cannot keep her mouth shut, or sit still and accept mediocrity) was raised by a women who all she wanted in life was to be a "wife, a mother, and a nurse." I used to look at that statement by my mother as weak, but man, she was the BEST mother, the BEST nurse, and exactly the wife my father was looking for.
    I am also fortunate that all the men I dated were raised in the same manner.
    It wasn't until teaching in the community I do that I slapped across the face with the paradox of respecting your elder women, but objectifying and mocking your peer women. Hmmm... how did that happen?
    When the gang rape of the teenage girl after her school dance by her fellow classmates occurred last year, I thought it was incredible that our middle schoolers were practicing a Socratic Seminar on the topic. It was appalling that both boys AND girls thought it was the girl's fault!!

    ReplyDelete